Colonel Tim Sands is the Chief Academic Officer, Air Force Institute of Technology (AFIT), Wright Patterson AFB, OH.
B.S. NC State University Mechanical Engineering
P.D. Columbia University Mechanical Engineering
M.S. University of North Dakota Space Studies
MEng University of Colorado Space Operations
GCert UCLA Astronautical Engineering
PhD Naval Postgraduate School Astronautical Engineering
- Chinese technical translation
- Dynamics & control flexible spacecraft structures
- Spacecraft attitude control with control moment gyroscopes
- Adaptive controls
- Physics-based modeling
- System identification
- Model Predictive Control
- ADAPTIVE ALGORITHMS
- DYNAMICS AND CONTROL
- FLIGHT TEST
- ORBITAL MECHANICS
- REMOTE SENSING
- SIGNAL PROCESSING
- SPACE SYSTEMS
- SPACECRAFT DYNAMICS
- STRUCTURAL DYNAMICS AND CONTROL
- NON-GPS NAVIGATION
AWARDS AND HONORS
- US Air Force Astronaut nominee to NASA (2009 and 2012)
- Fellow, Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), 2010
- Theodore Von Karman Award - most outstanding national defense contribution, 2010
- Joint Service Warfare Award (Military Officers Association of America), 2010
- Engineering Achievement Award, Air Combat Command, 2009
- Best Student Paper National Finalist, AIAA GNC Conference, 2007
- Top Graduate, Combat Flight Instructors Course, 2000
- Distinguished Graduate, B-52 Initial Qualification Course, 1998
- Top Graduate, Joint Intermediate Specialized Undergraduate Navigator Training, 1997
- International Award, Air Force Materiel Command, 1994
- Scholar Laureate, Golden Key International Honor Society
- Member, Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society
- US Navy SCUBA School Graduate
- US Army Air Assault School Graduate
- US Army OPFOR Academy Graduate
- US Army Foreign Weapons School Graduate
- US Air Force Weapons School Graduate
- Program Management Level III certification (APDP)
- Test and Evaluation Level III certification (APDP)
- Systems Engineering Level II certification (APDP)
- Nakatani, S., Sands, T.,“Simulation of Spacecraft Damage Tolerance and Adaptive Controls”, IEEE Aerospace Proceedings, 2014
- Sands, T., Kim, J., Agrawal, B. "Method and Apparatus for Singularity Avoidance for Control Moment Gyroscope (CMG) Systems Without Using Null Motion", Patent Pending (61/840,010), June 27, 2013.
- Sands, T., "Advances in Digital Manufacturing", Journal of Engineering and Technology, 2(1), 2012.
- Sands, T., "Physics-Based Control Methods," book chapter in Advancements in Spacecraft Systems and Orbit Determination, edited by Rushi Ghadawala, Rijeka: In-Tech Publishers, pp. 29-54, 2012.
- Sands, T., Kim, J. J., Agrawal, B. N., "Nonredundant Single-Gimbaled Control Moment Gyroscopes," Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 35(2) 578-587, 2012.
- Sands, T., "Physics-Based Automated Control of Spacecraft" AIAA Space 2009, AIAA #167790, 2009.
- Sands, T., "Control Moment Gyroscope Singularity Reduction via Decoupled Control," IEEE SEC Proceedings, 2009.
- Sands, T., "Satellite Electronic Attack of Enemy Air Defenses," IEEE SEC Proceedings, 2009.
- Kim, J., Sands, T., Agrawal, B., "Acquisition, Tracking, and Pointing Technology Development for Bifocal Relay Mirror Spacecraft" SPIE Proceedings Vol. 6569, 656907, 2007.
- Sands, T., "The Electronic Battle - Requirements and Capabilities" Proceedings of the 44rd AOC International Symposium and Convention, Technical Track 3, 2007.
- Sands, T. "Fine Pointing of Military Spacecraft," PhD dissertation, Naval Postgraduate School, 2007.
- Sands, T., Kim, J., Agrawal, B., "Control Moment Gyroscope Singularity Reduction and Penetration", Best Student Paper National Finalist, Proceedings of the AIAA Guidance, Navigation and Control Conference and Exhibit, 2007, withdrawn prior to publication pending patent application.
- Sands, T., Kim, J., Agrawal, B., "2H Singularity-Free Momentum Generation with Non-Redundant Single Gimbaled Control Moment Gyroscopes," Proceedings of 45th IEEE Conference on Decision & Control, 2006.
- Adaptive Controls
- Spacecraft Rotational Mechanics
- Spacecraft Attitude Determination and Control
- Advanced Mechanics and Orbital Robotics
- Advanced Heat Transfer
- Signals and Systems