Col Doral "Ned" Sandlin is Commandant for the Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. In this position, he plans and directs operations for 3 schools and 4 directorates providing Air Force graduate and continuing education for over 37K students per year. He leads more than 3,200 military, faculty, staff, and students that are assigned to over 400 duty locations worldwide in execution of the AFIT mission. In addition, Col Sandlin helps develop strategic partnerships with DoD organizations, federal agencies, industry, and other academic institutions.
Col Sandlin began his career in the Air Force in 1992 when he graduated from the Air Force Academy. He has held a variety of flying assignments which include tours in the KC-10 at McGuire AFB, the T-1 at Laughlin AFB, the T-6 at Randolph AFB, and was dual qualified in the TC-172/TC-208 in Iraq. He has commanded at the detachment and squadron level. After completing intermediate development education at AFIT, he was selected for AFIT's faculty pipeline program and attended The Ohio State University where he earned a PhD in Business Logistics.
Col Sandlin is a command pilot with more than 4,000 flying hours in the KC-10, C-12, T-1, T-6, T-37, T-38, TC-172, and TC-208.
- 1992 Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering, United States Air Force Academy, CO.
- 2004 Master of Business Administration, Rutgers, Camden, NJ.
- 2004 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence.
- 2006 Master of Logistics Management (IDE), Air Force Institute of Technology, OH.
- 2009 Master of Logistics, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH.
- 2010 Doctorate in Business Administration, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH.
- February 1993 - April 1994, Student, undergraduate pilot training, Columbus AFB, MS.
- May 1994 - August 1998, Co-pilot, Aircraft Commander, Instructor Pilot and Flight Commander, 32nd ARS, McGuire AFB, NJ.
- September 1998 - October 2001, Instructor Pilot, Flight Examiner, Student Flight Commander, later, Check Flight Commander, 86th FTS, Laughlin AFB, TX.
- November 2001 - May 2005, Instructor Pilot, Flight Examiner, Flight Commander, Wing Executive Officer, later, Assistant Director of Operations, 557th FTS, Randolph AFB, TX.
- June 2005 - May 2006, AFIT IDE Student, Wright-Patterson AFB, OH.
- June 2006 - September 2009, PhD Student, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH.
- October 2009 - March 2011, Division Chief and Assistant Professor, later, interim department head AFIT, Wright-Patterson AFB, OH.
- April 2011 - October 2011, Director of Operations, later, Commander, 521st AEAS, Kirkuk RAB, Iraq.
- November 2011 - October 2012, center Deputy Director and Assistant Professor, AFIT, Wright-Patterson AFB, OH.
- October 2012 - May 2013, Commander, Detachment 4, 602d training group, Fort Bliss, TX.
- June 2013 - June 2014, Director of Institutional Advancement and Assistant Professor, AFIT, Wright-Patterson AFB, OH.
- June 2014 to present, Commandant and Vice Chancellor, AFIT, Wright-Patterson AFB, OH.
- Rating: Command pilot
- Flight hours: More than 4,000
- Aircraft flown: KC-10, C-12, T-1, T-6, T-37, T-38, TC-172, TC-208
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
- Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
- Air Force Aerial Achievement Medal
- Air Force Commendation Medal
- Army Achievement Medal
- National Defense Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
- Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
- Southwest Asia Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
- Iraq Campaign Medal with oak leaf cluster
- Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
- Armed Forces Service Medal
- Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
- Second Lieutenant May 27, 1992
- First Lieutenant May 27, 1994
- Captain May 27, 1996
- Major December 01, 2002
- Lieutenant Colonel December 01, 2007
- Colonel February 01, 2014
(Current as of 12 June 2014)
⇑ Return to top ⇑