The Civil Engineer School

History

The School was established in October 1947, shortly after the creation of the Air Force as a separate service. The Corps of Engineers, which had previously provided engineering services to Army Air Corps bases, had scheduled to withdraw its engineering personnel from air bases by June 1949. Filling in for the Corps of Engineers was a new organization, Air Installations, many of whose members had transferred from the Corps of Engineers. HQ USAF established a special institution to educate future Air Force engineers to provide a steady flow of competent engineers for the Air Force.

In March 1948, the School held its first class, consisting of 33 students. Designed to train officers for base-level Air Installations duty, the Air Installations Engineering Special Staff Officer course covered maintenance and repair, air base construction, management, and administration. In August 1953, the basic civil engineering course was added to the curriculum. Renamed Introduction to the Base Civil Engineer Organization course, it is now designed to indoctrinate newly commissioned officers and newly hired civilians in the civil engineering career field. Another long-standing course, the Civil Engineer Commander/Deputy course, was initiated in December 1968 for base civil engineers and their deputies. This course is still an integral part of the School's curriculum today. Over its 49 years of continuous operation, more than 50,000 students have attended resident professional continuing education courses at the Civil Engineer and Services School.

In April 1986, the Engineering and Services community obtained approval to move services officer education from the Lowry Technical Training Center to the Air Force Institute of Technology. In October 1986, The Civil Engineer and Services School assumed responsibility for services officer education and offered the first services course, Mortuary Affairs, in November 1986.

In 1991, the Chief of Staff of the Air Force approved the integration of the MWR and Services career fields. In June 1992, the first integrated MWR and Services course was taught. Recognizing the new mission of the School, the name of the school was changed to the School of Civil Engineering, MWR and Services in August of 1993. In January of 1994, the MWR career field reverted back to the Services career field. The name of the school changed to the Civil Engineer and Services School in August of 1994. In October 2009, the school name changed to the Civil Engineer School when the Force Support curriculum moved to Maxwell AFB AL.

The Air Force Institute of Technology, of which the Civil Engineer School is one of three schools, is accredited by the Commission of Institutions of Higher Education of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools at:

30 North LaSalle Street, Suite 2400
Chicago, Illinois 60602-2504 Phone: (800) 263-7462

Courses are offered for continuing education units (CEUs). The entire curriculum is reviewed annually by the major command Directors for the Civil Engineer and courses are revised, added, or deleted according to the current needs of the Air Force Civil Engineer career fields.

Civil Engineer School Home
Faculty & Staff Directory
Consulting
Course On-Site Requests
Contractor Registration