Bachelor of Science, Eastern Connecticut State University, May 1983, Field of Concentration: Mathematics.
Master of Science, Air Force Institute of Technology, December 1988, Thesis Title: Nonlinear Optimization Involving Polynomial Matrices and Their Generalized Inverses.
Doctor of Philosophy, Industrial and Systems Engineering, The Ohio State University, March 1996. Dissertation Title: Multivariate Sampling with Explicit Correlation Induction for Simulation and Optimization Studies.
My research interests fall into three main areas. The first is in the area of applied statistics in particular the application of design of experiments methodologies to test and evaluation. The second is the area of mathematical optimization and in particular the use of heuristic search methods for addressing particularly hard problems. The third is in the area of applied simulation modeling and analysis with particular interests in the area of agent-based modeling and the validation of such models.
1. Storm, S., R. R. Hill, and J. J. Pignatiello. May 2012. A Response Surface Methodology for Modeling Time Series Response Data.Accepted for publication in Quality and Reliability Engineering International.
2. Chambal, S P., J. Kitchen, R. R. Hill and A. J. Gutman, September 2011, Acquisition and Testing, DT/OT Testing: The Need for Two-Parameter Requirements. Submitted to Quality and Reliability Engineering International.
3. MacKenzie, A., J. O. Miller, R. R. Hill, and S. P. Chambal. 2012. Application of Agent Based Modeling to Aircraft Maintentance Manning and Sortie Generation. Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory, Vol. 20, 89-98.
4. Heath, B., F. Ciarallo, and R. Hill. July 2011. Validation in the Agent-Based Modelling Paradigm: Problems and a Solution, accepted by the International Journal of Simulation and Process Modeling.
5. Meador, D. P. and R. R. Hill. August 2011. Modeling Training Effects Using a Human Performance Taxonomy, Human Factors, Vol. 53, No. 4, 391-402.
6. Hill, R. R., J. T. Moore, C. Hiremath and Y. K. Cho. 2011. Test Problem Generation of Binary Knapsack Problem Variants and the Implications of their Use.Accepted by the International Journal of Operations and Quantitative Management.
7. Haase, C. L., R. R. Hill, and D. Hodson. September 2011. Using Statistical Experimental Design to Realize LVC Potential in T&E, International Test and Evaluation Journal, Vol. 32, No. 3, 288-297.
8. Haase, C. L., and R. R. Hill. 2011. An Algorithmic Foldover Procedure for Nearly Orthogonal Arrays with Projection, Journal of Experimental Design and Process Optimization, Vol. 2, No. 3, 191-201.
9. Hill, R. R., D. A. Leggio, S. R. Capehart, A. G. Roesener. October 2011. Examining Improved Experimental Designs for Wind Tunnel Testing using Monte Carlo Sampling Methods. Quality and Reliability Engineering International, Vol. 27, Issue 6, 795-803.
10. Hill, R. R., Y. K. Cho, and J. T. Moore. 2012. Problem Reduction Heuristic for the 0-1 Multidimensional Knapsack Problem, Computers & Operations Research, Vol 39, Issue 1, 19-26.
11. Johnson, A. W., T. Heiman, M. Cooper, and R. R. Hill. Assessing Transport Aircraft Inspection Strategies. Accepted for publication, International Journal of Operations Research and Information Systems (IJORIS). Vol. 1, No. 4, 1-21. October-December 2010.
12. Heath, B. L. and R. R. Hill, September2010. Some Insights into the Emergence of Agent-Based Modeling. Journal of Simulation Vol. 4, No. 3, 163-169.
13. Aleman, R. E. and R. R. Hill. April 2010. A Tabu Search with Vocabulary Building Approach for the Vehicle Routing Problem with Split Demands. International Journal of Metaheuristics, Vol. 1, No. 1, 55-80.
14. Aleman, R., X. Zhang and R. R. Hill, June 2010. An Adaptive Memory Algorithm for the Split Delivery Vehicle Routing Problem.Journal of Heuristics, Vol. 16, No. 3, 441-473.
15. Hardman, N., Colombi, J., Jacques, D., Hill, R., Miller, J. 2009. Requirements Elicitation Through Legacy Mishap Analysis. Accepted for publication in AIAA Journal of Aerospace Computing, Information, and Communication.
16. Champagne, L. E. and R. R. Hill, October 2009. A Simulation Validation Method Based on Bootstrapping Applied to an Agent-Based Model of the Bay of Biscay Historical Scenario. Journal of Defense Modeling and Simulation: Applications, Methodology, Technology Vol. 6, No. 4, 201-212.
17. Hardman, N., Colombi, J., Jacques, D., Hill, R., Miller, J. 2009. An Evaluation of Collision Avoidance Technologies Using Empirical Function Allocation. International Journal of Applied Aviation Studies, Vol. 9, No. 2, 133-154.
18. Heath, B. L., Ciarallo, F. and Hill, R. R. October 2009. A Survey of Agent-Based Modeling Practices (January 1998 to July 2008), Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation, Vol. 12, No. 4, October 2009.
19. Aleman, R., R. R. Hill and X. Zhang, November 2008. A Ring-Based Diversification Scheme for Routing Problems. International Journal of Mathematics of Operational Research, Vol 1, Nos. 1-2, 163-190.
20. Marsh, W. E. and R. R. Hill. 2008. An Initial Agent Behavior Modeling and Definition Methodology as Applied to Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Simulations.International Journal of Simulation and Process Modeling, Vol 4, No. 2, 119-129.
21. Cho, Y. K., J. T. Moore, R. R. Hill, C. H. Reilly. 2008. Exploiting Empirical Knowledge for Bi-Dimensional Knapsack Problem Heuristics. International Journal of Industrial and Systems Engineering, Vol. 3, No. 5, 530-548.
22. Hill. R. R., and C. S. Hiremath. 2007. Generation Methods for Multidimensional Knapsack Problems and their Implications. Journal of Systemics, Cybernetics, and Informatics (JSCI), Vol. 5, No. 5, 59-64.
23. Velayudhan, S. P., R. R. Hill, C. S. Hiremath, H. D. Soneji. 2007. Empirical Analysis of Randomness in Ant Colony Optimization Algorithms Applied to the Traveling Salesman Problem.International Journal of Information Systems for Logistics and Management (JISLM), Vol. 2, No. 2, 69-76.
24. Hiremath, C. S. and R. R. Hill.2007.New Greedy Heuristics for the Multiple-Choice Multidimensional Knapsack Problem.International Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 2, No. 4, 495-512.
25. Hill, R. R. and M. P. Gaupp. 2006. Visualization Tools for Prescriptive Analysis of a Complex Adaptive System Model of Pilot Retention. International Journal of Modeling and Simulation, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 378-384.
26. Hill, R. R., R. G. Carl, L. E. Champagne. 2006. Using Agent Simulation Methods to Examine and Investigate Search Theory Against a Historical Case Study. Journal of Simulation, Vol. 1, No. 1, 29-38.
27. Baltacioglu, E., J. T. Moore and R. R. Hill. 2006. The Distributor’s Three-Dimensional Pallet-Packing Problem: A Human Intelligence-Based Heuristic Approach. International Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 1, No. 3, pp. 249-266.
28. Ciarallo, F. W., R. R. Hill, S. Mahadevan, V. Chopra, P. J. Vincent, C. S. Allen. 2005. Building the Mobility Aircraft Availability Forecasting (MAAF) Simulation Model and Decision Support System. Journal of Defense Modeling and Simulation, Vol. 2, No. 2, April 2005, pp. 57-69.
29. Ciarallo, F. W., V. V. Panicker, S. Mahadevan, and R. R. Hill.2005. A Hybrid Intelligent Logistics Diagnostic Assistant. Journal of Decision Systems, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 215-240.
30. Hill, R. R. and C. Hiremath. 2005. Improving Genetic Algorithm Convergence Using Problem Structure and Domain Knowledge in Multidimensional Knapsack Problems. International Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 1, No. 1/2.
31. Kinney, G. W., R. R. Hill and J. T. Moore. 2005. Devising a Quick-Running Heuristic for an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) Routing System.Journal of the Operational Research Society, Vol. 56, No. 7, pp. 776-786.
32. Schneider, N. L., S. Narayanan, C. Patel, T. Carrico, and R. Hill.2004. Integration of genetic algorithms with airbase simulations for repair time analysis.International Journal of Industrial Engineering, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 231-240.
33. Hill, R. R., L. E. Champagne, and J. C. Price. 2004. Using Agent-Based Simulation and Game Theory to Examine the WWII Bay of Biscay U-Boat Campaign.Journal of Defense Modeling and Simulation, Vol. 1, No. 2, pp. 99-109.
34. Harder, R. W., R. R. Hill, and J. T. Moore. May 2004. A Java Universal Vehicle Router for Routing Unmanned Aerial Vehicles”, International Transactions in Operational Research, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 259-276.
35. Hill, R. R., S. Mahadevan, and S. Narayanan. May 2004. Examining Real-Time Scheduling Exceptions in Complex Planning Domains Using Decision Support Systems. WSEAS Transactions on Systems, Vol. 3, No. 3, pp: 1213-1220.
36. Johnstone, D. P., R. R. Hill, and J. T. Moore. March 2004. Mathematically Modeling Munitions Pre-Positioning and Movement. Mathematical and Computer Modeling, Vol. 39, No. 6-8, pp. 759-772.
37. Hill, R. R., G. A. McIntyre, T. R. Tighe, R. K. Bullock. 2003. Some Experiments with Agent-Based Combat Models. Military Operations Research, Vol. 8, No. 3, September 2003, pp. 17-28.
38. Cho, Y. K., J. T. Moore and R. R. Hill. 2003. Developing a New Greedy Heuristic Based on Knowledge Gained via Structured Empirical Testing.International Journal of Industrial Engineering, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 504-510.
39. Hill, Raymond R. 2002. Process Simulation in Excel for a Quantitative Management Course.INFORMS Transactions on Education, Vol. 3, No. 2, May 2002.
40. MacKenna, J., W. Cunningham, and R. R. Hill. 2002. Determining AGE Levels.Air Force Journal of Logistics, Vol. XXV, No. 4, Winter 2001. (selected by International Society of Logistics Engineers (SOLE) as best paper in 2001)
41. O' Fearna, F. C., R. R. Hill and J. O. Miller. 2002.A Methodology to Reduce Aerospace Ground Equipment Requirements for an Air Expeditionary Force.International Journal of Logistics: Research and Applications, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 75-89.
42. Cario, M. C., J. J. Clifford, R. R. Hill, J. Yang, K. Yang, C. H. Reilly. 2002.An Investigation of the Relationship Between Problem Characteristics and Algorithm Performance: A Case Study of the Generalized Assignment Problems. IIE Transactions on Operations Engineering, Vol. 34, No. 3, pp. 297-312.
43. O' Rourke, K. P. , T. G. Bailey, R. R. Hill., and W. B. Carlton. 2001. Dynamic Routing of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles Using Reactive Tabu Search.Military Operations Research, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 5-30.
44. Hill, R. R. and C. H. Reilly. 2000. The Effects of Coefficient Correlation Structure in Two-Dimensional Knapsack Problems on Solution Procedure Performance.Management Science, Vol. 46, No. 2, pp. 302-317.
45. Hill, R. R. and C. H. Reilly. 2000. Multivariate Composite Distributions for Coefficients in Synthetic Optimization Problems. European Journal of Operational Research. Vol. 121, No. 1, pp. 64-77.