Ph.D. 2004 Air Force Institute of Technology (AFIT), Wright-Patterson AFB, OH, Electrical Engineering
M.S. 1995 California Polytechnic State University (CalPoly), San Luis Obispo, CA, Electrical Engineering
B.S. 1993 University of Massachusetts at Amherst, Amherst, MA, Electrical Engineering
Microelectronics, MEMS, Device fabrication, Nanotechnology
1. Coutu, Jr., R.A., “Modeling and Simulation of Classical Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems (MEMS) Actuators,” AIAA Student J., 46-54, (Spring 2002).
2. Coutu, Jr., R.A., P.E. Kladitis, L.A. Starman, and J.R. Reid, “A Comparison of Micro-Switch Analytic, Finite Element, and Experimental Results,” Sensors and Actuators A., 115(2-3):252-258, 2004.
3. Coutu, Jr., R.A., P.E. Kladitis, K.D. Leedy, and R.L. Crane, “Selecting Metal Alloy Electric Contact Materials for MEMS Switches,” J. of Micromech. and Microeng., 14(8):1157-1164, 2004.
4. Lee H., R.A. Coutu, Jr., S. Mall, and P.E. Kladitis, “ Nanoindentation technique for characterizing cantilever beam style RF MEMS switches,” J. of Micromech. and Microeng., 15:123-1235, 2005.
5. Coutu, Jr., R.A., J.R. Reid, R. Cortez, R.E. Strawser, and P.E. Kladitis, “Microswitches with Sputtered Au, AuPd, Au-on-AuPt, and AuPtCu Alloy Electric Contacts”, IEEE Trans on Comp. & Packag Tech., Vol. 29, No. 2, 2006.
6. Lee H., R.A. Coutu, Jr., S. Mall., and K.D. Leedy, “Characterization of metal and metal alloy films as contact materials for MEMS switches,” J. of Micromech. and Microeng., 16:557-563, 2006.
1. Coutu, Jr., R.A., P.E. Kladitis, L.A. Starman, and J.R. Reid, “Finite Element Modeling and Simulation of Micro-Switch Pull-in Voltage and Contact Force,” Proc. Eurosensors XVII, 64-67, (Sept 2003).
2. Coutu, Jr., R.A. and P.E. Kladitis, “Contact Force Models, Including Electric Contact Deformation, for Electrostatically Actuated, Cantilever-Style, RF MEMS Switches,” Proc. NSTI 2004 Nanotechnology Conf. and Tradeshow, vol 2, 219-223, (Mar 2004).
3. Coutu, Jr., R.A., P.E. Kladitis, L.A. Starman, and R.L. Crane, “RF MEMS Switches with Metal Alloy Electric Contacts,” Proc. 2004 Solid State Sensor, Actuator, and Microsys Workshop at Hilton Head, 188-191, (Jun 2004).
4. Coutu, Jr., R.A., P.E. Kladitis, R. Cortez, R.E. Strawser, and R.L. Crane, “Micro-Switches with Sputtered Au, AuPd, Au-on-AuPt, and AuPtCu Alloy Electric Contacts,” Proc. 50th IEEE Holm Conf. on Elec. Cont., 214-221 (Sept 2004).
5. Chen, L., N.E. McGruer, G.G. Adams, R.A. Coutu, Jr., and K.D. Leedy, “An SPM-Based System for Contact Reliability Characterization,” AVS 52nd International Symposium, Oct 2005.
6. Mall, S., Lee, H., Leedy, K., and Coutu, Jr., R., “Interrelationship between Hardness and Resistivity of Metal Alloy Films as Contact Materials in MEMS Switches,” ASME Int Joint Tribology Conf, Oct 2006.