Ph.D., Physics, University of Maryland, 2007
M.S., major in Applied Physics, Air Force Institute of Technology, 1997
B.S., Physics, U.S. Air Force Academy, 1992
Lt Col Franz's research interests include evaluating the nonlinear dynamics of lasers and other systems, developing light weight optics for space applications, and improving graduate teaching.
4. L. Habash Krause and A. L. Franz, “On the Application of Exploratory Data Analysis for Characterization of Space Weather Activity Indices,” Advances in Space Research 47, p. 2199, 2011.
3. Anthony L. Franz, Rajarshi Roy, Leah B. Shaw, Ira B. Schwartz, “Effect of multiple time delays on intensity fluctuation dynamics in fiber ring lasers,” Physical Review E 78, 016208, 2008.
2. Anthony L. Franz, Rajarshi Roy, Leah B. Shaw, Ira B. Schwartz, “Changing Dynamical Complexity with Time Delay in Coupled Fiber Laser Oscillators,” Physical Review Letters 99, 053905, 2007.
1. D. J. Knipp, E. T. Patterson, A. Franz, J. H. Head, T. A. Summers, E. L. Zirbel,“Simulating Realistic Satellite Orbits in the Undergraduate Classroom,” The Physics Teacher 43, p. 452, October 2005.
Conference Presentations and Proceedings:
9. Anthony Franz, “Pictures from Iraq,” War, Literature, and the Arts Conference, U.S. Air Force Academy, CO, 16 September 2010.
8. Linda Habash Krause, Anthony Franz, and J. Dennis Musick, “Extraction of Empirical Orthogonal Functions from Large Data Sets for Modeling Ionospheric Electron Density Profiles,” 2010 National Radio Science Meeting, Boulder, CO, January 2010.
7. L. Habash Krause, and A. Franz, “Eigen-Analysis of Ionospheric Climate Data: Discovering Structure within Large Multivariate Data Sets,” Invited Talk to International Reference Ionosphere 2009 Workshop, Kagoshima, Japan, November 2009.
6. Anthony L. Franz, Rajarshi Roy, Leah B. Shaw, and Ira B. Schwartz, “Complex Spatiotemporal Dynamics and Synchronization of Fiber Ring Lasers with Time-Delayed Coupling,” Invited Talk to Laser Dynamics: Theory and Experiment Mini-Symposium, Society of Industrial and Applied Mathematics Applications of Dynamical Systems Conference, Park City, UT, 30May2007.
5. Anthony L. Franz, Rajarshi Roy, Leah B. Shaw, and Ira B. Schwartz, “Dynamics of Nonlinear Oscillators with Time Delays: a Study with Fiber Lasers,” Invited Seminar, Institute for Research in Electronics and Applied Physics Graduate Student Seminar, University of Maryland, College Park, MD, 10 May 2007.
4. Anthony L. Franz, Rajarshi Roy, Leah B. Shaw, and Ira B. Schwartz, “Dynamical Instabilities and Synchronization in Lasers,” Invited Seminar, Lasers Seminar, University of Maryland, College Park, MD, 24May2006.
3. Anthony L. Franz and Evelyn T. Patterson, “Recording Physics Demonstrations on CD for Instructor Training and Reference,” Contributed Talk, American Association of Physics Teachers Winter Meeting, Austin, TX, 13 January 2003.
2. Anthony L. Franz and Craig Largent, “Time Resolved Photoluminescence Spectra of a Mid-Infrared Multiple Quantum Well Semiconductor Laser,” American Physical Society Ohio Section Fall Meeting, Miami, OH, 11October1997.
1. Anthony L. Franz and Paul Wolf, “Properties of Laser Ablated Plasmas,” U.S. Air Force Academy, CO, spring 1992.