Ph.D., Optical Sciences, Air Force Institute of Technology, 2006
M.S., Engineering Physics, Air Force Institute of Technology, 1993
B.S., Astrophysics, Michigan State University, 1991
Current projects include:
Passive Ranging: We have demonstrated a passive sensing technique to estimate range to an emissive target (such as boost-phase missiles) based on atmospheric absorption. Past demonstrations have used high-resolution measurements of an oxygen absorption band near 762 nm. Current efforts include exploring infrared absorption bands, which would enable passive ranging of a new class of targets, and evaluating smaller sensors to replace the large, complex spectrometers used in initial experiments.
Chromotomographic Imaging (CTI): This hyper-spectral imaging technique uses a rotationg prism to disperse light. Multiple camera frames (at multiple prism angles) are used to reconstruct a data hypercube using a tomographic process (similar to medical imaging). We are designing and testing a visible-band CTI system as risk-reduction for the CTEx space-based hyperspectral imaging experiment.
14. M Hawks, R Vincent, J Martin and G Perram, "Short-range demonstrations of molecular passive ranging using O2(X-b) absorption spectra", Applied Spectroscopy, (accepted).
13. R.A. Vincent and M Hawks, “Passive ranging of dynamic rocket plumes using infrared and visible oxygen attenuation”, Proceedings of the SPIE, vol 8052, (2011).
12. J Anderson, M Hawks, K Gross and G Perram, "Flight test of an imaging O2(X-b) monocular passive ranging instrument”, Proceedings of the SPIE, vol 8020, (2011).
11. M. Hawks, J. Anderson, R.A. Vincent, D. MacDonald, “Range estimation from atmospheric absorption spectra”, Proc. of Military Sensing Symposium (MD-SEA), Orlando, FL (2010).
10. D. MacDonald, M. Hawks and K. Gross, “Passive Ranging Using Mid-Wavelength Infrared Atmospheric Attenuation”, Proceedings of the SPIE, vol 7660, (2010).
9. D. O’Dell, et al., “Chromotomographic Imager Field Demonstration Results”, Proceedings of the SPIE, vol 7668, (2010).
8. M. Hawks and G. Perram, "Passive Ranging of Boost-Phase Missiles," Proceedings of the SPIE, Vol. 6569, 2007.
7. M. Hawks, "Passive Ranging Using Atmospheric Oxygen Absorption Spectra," Dissertation, Air Force Institute of Technology (AU), 2006.
6. M. Hawks and G. Perram, "Passive Ranging of Emissive Targets Using Atmospheric Oxygen Absorption Lines," Proceedings of the SPIE, Vol. 5811, 115, 2005.
5. M. Hawks, I. Dajani, C. Kutshce, and F. Ghebremichael, "Modeling and Prototyping of Polymer Fiber Based Chemical and Biological Agent Sensors," Proceedings of the SPIE, Vol. 4036, 115, 2000.
4. T.S. Turner and M. Hawks, "Rugedized Portable Fourier Transform Spectrometer for Hyperspectral Imaging Applications, "Proceedings of the SPIE, Vol. 2585, 222-232, 1995.
3. M. Hawks, R. Johnson, and G. Perram, "Infrared Fluorescence Study of Electronic-To-Vibrational Energy Transfer in the Br(2P1/2)-NO System," Chemical Physics, 195: 395-401, 1995.
2. E. Holbert and M. Hawks, "Fourier Filtering of Hyperspectral Imagery of Space Objects to Reduce Camera Noise," Imaging Spectrometry, M. Descour et. al. Editors, Proc. SPIE 2480: 475-479, 1995.
1. M. Hawks, "Infrared Fluorescence Studies of Electronic-to-Vibrational Energy Transfer in a Br2:NO System," Master's Thesis, Air Force Institute of Technology (AU), 1993.
7. M Hawks and G. Perram, “Use of Band Models to Describe Absorption Over Inhomogeneous Paths”, Atmospheric Transmission Modeling Conference, Lexington, MA, (2009).
6. M. Hawks and G. Perram, "Passive Ranging Using Absorption Spectra,"Directed Energy Professional Society Annual Meeting, Albuquerque, NM, October 2003.
5. R. Pope, P. Wolf, M. Hawks, and G. Perram, "Pressure Broadening and Rotationally Inelastic Collisions in the O2 b-X Transition," 26th Annual Review Conference of Atmospheric Transmission Models, Lexington, MA, 23-24 September 2003.
4. M. Hawks, W. Taylor, A. Coleman, E. Fontaine, and G. Vansuch, "Proactive IRCM Program Initial Exploitation Data," Military Sensing Symposium for Infrared Countermeasures, Monterey, CA, 2002.
3. Enger, R.C., and Hawks, M.R., "Using WWW-Based Pre-Tests to Tailor Your Teaching," American Association of Physics Teachers Winter Meeting, New Orleans, LA, January 1998.
2. T. Payne, S. Sansoy, W. Burckel, D. Payne, D. Rider, and M. Hawks, "Modeling of Spectral Signatures from GEO Satellites [U]," Space Surveillance Workshop, Lexington, MA, April 1996.
1. M. Hawks, et. al., "Hyperspectral Imaging for Satellite Identification," OSA Annual Conference, Dallas, TX, October 1994.