The AFIT Foundation is a private organization founded in 1986. It is a tax-exempt, not-for-profit corporation, incorporated in the State of Ohio for the purpose of furthering the goals of the Air Force Institute of Technology. The Foundation consists of a Board of Trustees and the Association of Graduates. The Board of Trustees is the governing body of the Foundation. The Foundation is a non-federal entity within the context of the DoD Joint Ethics Regulation (JER). Section 1-224.
The mission of the Foundation is to support the goals of AFIT and does so by:
- Informing students and alumni, current and former faculty, friends, and the public of mission, status, goals, and achievements and importance of AFIT’s defense-related education and research to, the Air Force, the Department of Defense, the community and country.
- In partnership with AFIT, recognizing outstanding alumni. Biennially nominations for Distinguished Alumni are solicited and those selected are recognized at banquet sponsored by the Foundation.
- Sponsoring a biennial Heritage Symposium at AFIT. The symposium is a way to showcase not only AFIT’s proud heritage but also the great things AFIT is doing today.
- Provide support of student recognition. The Foundation provides funds for the reward of a cash prize for the winner of the Commandant’s Award.
- Provide, as funds allow, other support for AFIT that is not available through appropriated funds