Course Credit

The Civil Engineer School Continuing Education Units (CEU)

The Civil Engineer School (CES) strives to provide quality Professional Continuing Education (PCE) to Air Force and Department of Defense personnel. In addition to receiving quality education to help increase job performance, Civil Engineer School students may be able to use courses to obtain Continuing Professional Competency or Continuing Education requirements of state licensing boards.
The Civil Engineer School has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this accreditation, the Civil Engineer School has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is recognized internationally as a standard of good practice. As a result of their Authorized Provider status, the Civil Engineer School is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its programs that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.

College Credit

CES awarded CEUs can be accepted by some colleges and universities as credit toward graduation requirements. Students should contact the college or university registrar to determine if CES CEUs are accepted by the school for credit. If appropriate, the college or university will instruct the student on procedures for obtaining credit. Typically, the college or university will require an official transcript from CES listing completed courses and the number of CEUs awarded. A student’s official transcript can be requested by completing the Transcript form under the Student Information link of this website.

Continuing Professional Competency (CPC)

Many state licensing boards require individuals who wish to renew their state issued professional license (such as P.E. or R.A) to demonstrate a continuing level of professional development/competency. These states require that their licensees obtain a certain number of credits per year to renew their license. CPC credit can be obtained from many different sources, such as completing a college course from an ABET accredited institute, attending a technical seminar/PCE course, publishing papers, obtaining a patent, etc. The National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES) and most states use the Professional Development Hour (PDH) as the common denominator for CPC credit, Table 1 lists the NCEES recommended unit conversion to PDHs. As a provider of PCE, CESS courses and awarded CEUs may be acceptable in some states to meet these CPC requirements. It MUST be noted that each state’s licensing board has the ultimate decision making authority to accept or reject CPC activities or CEUs.

Table 1. NCEES recommended unit conversion to PDH

CPC Activity and units PDH
1. 1 College or unit semester hour 45 PDH
2. 1 College or unit quarter hour 30 PDH
3. 1 Continuing Education Unit (CEU) 10 PDH
4. 1 Hour of professional development in course work, seminars, or professional or technical presentation made at meetings, conventions, or conferences 1 PDH
5. For teaching apply multiple of 2  
6. Each published paper, article, or book 10 PDH
7. Active participation in professional and technical society. (Each organization) 2 PDH
8. Each patent 10 PDH

Taken from National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Survey, Model Rules, August 2004

Students who wish to use CES courses towards state license renewal should review their individual state CPC requirements to determine if a CES course/CEU is a suitable activity. If the student is uncertain if the course qualifies, they should contact their state licensing board for a determination. For more information concerning the NCEES CPC recommendations and links to individual state renewal requirements please see the NCEES web site at www.ncees.org.

Return to the top of the page

Air Force Institute of Technology
2950 Hobson Way
Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, OH 45433-7765
Commercial: 937-255-6565 | DSN: 785-6565