Ph.D., Computer Science, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, MN, August 2008, Dissertation: “Opponent Modeling in Interesting Adversarial Environments,” Advisor: Dr. Maria Gini
Concentration: Statistical Machine Learning
M.S., Computer Systems, Air Force Institute of Technology, WPAFB, OH, December 1996, Thesis: “Inference Algorithm Performance and Selection Under Constrained Resources,” Advisor: Dr. Eugene Santos, Jr.
Concentration: Artificial Intelligence
B.S., Electrical Engineering, Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI), Worcester, MA, May 1992
Concentration: Computer Engineering
Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps, Commissioned Officer, USAF ROTC Detachment 340, WPI, Worcester, MA, May 1992
2015 AETC Nominee to AF: AF STEM Outstanding Science and Educator Award for 2014
2015 AFIT Faculty Research Fellows Program
2014 Eta Kappa Nu Outstanding Teacher of the year for 2014
2013 Air Force Achievement Medal (2nd Oak Leaf Cluster)
2012 Joint Service Commendation Medal (2nd Oak Leaf Cluster)
2010 Military Officers Association of America Outstanding Military Faculty Award, CY2010
2010 AFIT Field Grade Officer of the quarter, July-Sept 2010
2009 Outstanding Senior Military Scientist (of the year) - AETC
2005 Air Force Commendation Medal
2003 Air Force Meritorious Service Medal
2000 Joint Service Commendation Medal & Oak Leaf Cluster
1999 USSTRATCOM/J6 (Directorate) Company Grade Officer of the Quarter
1995 Air Force Achievement Medal
1992 Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps Distinguished Graduate
1992 Eta Kappa Nu, Electrical Engineering Honor Society
1992 Tau Beta Pi, National Engineering Honor Society
1988 Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps Scholarship
- Borghetti, B.J. and Gini, M., “Weighted Prediction Divergence for Metareasoning”, Metareasoning-thinking about thinking, M. Cox and A. Raja, Eds., (Chapter 16) MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 2011 (ISBN-10 0-262-01480-7).
- Rusnock, C.F., and Borghetti, B.J., “Workload Profiles: A continuous Measure of Mental workload”, International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, (In Press / available online, Sep 2016). http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0169814116301287
- Borghetti, B.J., Giametta, J.J*., & Rusnock, C.F., “Assessing Continuous Operator Workload with a Hybrid Scaffolded Neuroergonomic Modeling Approach,” Human Factors. (to appear - accepted for publication on 26Aug 2016)
- *Weller-Fahy, D. J.*, Borghetti, B.J., and Sodemann, A.A., “A Survey of Distance and Similarity Measures used within Network Intrusion Anomaly Detection”, IEEE Communication Surveys and Tutorials, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 70-91, First Quarter 2015, DOI 10.1109/COMST.2014.2336610
- **Sodemann, A.A., *Ross, M.P., and Borghetti, B.J., “A Review of Anomaly Detection in Automated Surveillance”, IEEE Transactions on System, Man, and Cybernetics Part C, vol. 42, No. 6, November 2012, pp 1257-1272. DOI 10.1109/TSMCC.2012.2215319
- *Borowski, J., Hopkinson, K., Humphries J., Borghetti, B.J., “Reputation-Based Cooperative Trust for an Agent-Based Backup Protection Scheme” IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol 2, No 2, June 2011, pp 287-301.
- Thomas, R.W., Borghetti, B.J., Komali, R.S. Mahonen, P., “Understanding Conditions that Lead to Emulation Attacks in Dynamic Spectrum Access” IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol 49 No. 3, March 2011, pp 32-37.
- *Weissgerber, K., Lamont, G.B., Borghetti, B.J., Peterson, G.L., “Determining Solution Space characteristics for Real Time Strategy Games and Characterizing Winning Strategies”, International Journal of Computer Games Technology, vol. 2011, (2011), pp 1-17. DOI: 10.1155/2011/834026.
- Borghetti, B.J., “The Environment-Value of an Opponent Model”, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics Part B, special issue on Game Theory, Issue 99, (Nov 2009) pp 1-11 (Print: Volume 40, No. 3 pp 623-633)
Refereed Conference Publications
- Mash, R.L., Borghetti, B.J., Pecarina, J.M., “Improved Aircraft Recognition for Aerial Refueling through Data Augmentation in Convolutional Neural Networks ”, Proceedings of the 12th International Symposium on Visual Computing (ISVC’16), December 12-14, 2016, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA (Accepted for publication 1 Oct 2016)
- Hefron, R.G., Borghetti, B.J. “A New Feature for Cross-day Psychophysiological Workload Estimation, ” 15th IEEE International Conference on Machine Learning and Applications (ICMLA’16), December 18-20, 2016, Anaheim, California, USA (Accepted for publication 19 Sep Jul 2016)
- Borghetti, B.J., Giametta, J.J.*, and Rusnock, C.F., “Estimating Continuous Operator Workload From Small Subject Samples”, Proceedings of the 2016 Human Factors and Ergonomics Society International Conference, Washington DC, 19-23 Sep 2016.
- Vieane, A., Funke, G., Mancuso, V., Greenlee, E., Dye, G.*, Borghetti, B.J., Miller, B., Menke, L., and Brown, R., “Coordinated Displays to Assist Cyber Defenders”, Proceedings of the 2016 Human Factors and Ergonomics Society International Conference, Washington DC, 19-23 Sep 2016 [Best Paper Award Winner]
- Giametta, J.J.*, and Borghetti, B.J., “EEG-based Secondary Task Detection in a Multiple Objective Operational Environment”, Proceedings of the 2015 IEEE 14th International Conference on Machine Learning and Applications (ICMLA), Miami, FL, 9-11 Dec 2015, pp 608-613.
- Smith, A.M.*, Borghetti, B.J., and Rusnock, C.F., “Improving Model Cross-Applicability for Operator Workload Estimation”, Proceedings of the 2015 Human Factors and Ergonomics Society International Conference, Los Angeles, CA, 26-30 Oct 2015, vol. 59, pp 681-685.
- Rusnock, C.F., Borghetti, B.J., and McQuaid, I.W**., “Objective-Analytical Measures of Workload – the Third Pillar of Workload Triangulation” 9th International conference on Augmented Cognition, 17th international Conference on Human-Computer Interaction Los Angeles, CA, 2-7 Aug 2015. LLNCS vol 9183, pp. 124-135.
- Boeke, D.K*., Miller, M.E., Rusnock, C.F., Borghetti, B.J., “Exploring Individualized Objective Workload Prediction with Feedback for Adaptive Automation” Proceedings of the 2015 Institute of Industrial Engineers(IIE)Industrial & Systems Engineering Research Conference, (ISERC) , Nashville, TN, 30 May-2 Jun, 2015., pp. 1437-1446.
- Shirey, R.G.*, Hopkinson, K.M., Stewart, K.E.*, Hodson, D.D. and Borghetti, B.J., “Analysis of Implementations to Secure Git for Use as an Encrypted Distributed Version Control System”, 48th IEEE Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, 2015, pp 1530-1605. http://conferences.computer.org/hicss/2015/papers/7367f310.pdf
- Kwak, H., Borghetti, B.J., “Reducing Communication Detection and Eavesdropping using Mobile Agent Relay Networks”, Proceedings of the Winter Simulation Conference (WSC) 2010, 5-8 December, 2010, pp 2832-2841
- *Weissgerber, K., Borghetti, B.J., Peterson, G.L., “An Effective and Efficient Real Time Strategy Agent,” Florida Artificial Intelligence Research Society Conference (May 2010).
- Thomas R.W., Komali, R.S., Borghetti, B.J., Mahonen, P., “A Bayesian Game Analysis of Emulation Attacks in Dynamic Spectrum Access Networks” IEEE Dynamic Spectrum Access Networks (DySPAN) (April, 2010)
- *Hooper, D.J., Peterson, G.L., Borghetti, B.J., “Dynamic Coalition Formation Under Uncertainty”, IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS 2009), October 2009, St. Louis, MO.
- *Weissgerber, K., Borghetti, B.J., Lamont, G.B, Mendenhall, M., “Towards Automated Feature Selection in Real-Time Strategy Games,” GAMEON-North America-09 (August 2009), [best paper award winner].
- *Borghetti, B.J., and Gini, M., “Weighted Prediction Divergence for Metareasoning”: Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (AAAI2008) Workshop on Metareasoning, Chicago, IL, July 2008
- *Borghetti, B.J., Sodomka, E., Collins, J. and Gini, M., “A Market-Pressure-Based Performance Evaluator for TAC-SCM”: Trading Agent Design and Analysis & Agent Mediated Electronic Commerce VIII Joint workshop at Autonomous Agents and Multi-Agent Systems Conference (AAMAS), Hakodate, Japan, May, 2006
- *Borghetti, B.J., Williams, E., Santos, E. Jr., “Inferencing Over Incomplete Solution Spaces with Genetic Algorithms for Probabilistic Reasoning”: Midwest Artificial Intelligence and Cognitive Science Conference February 1996
Conference Publications (Refereed Abstract)
- Funke, G., Dye, G.*, Borghetti, B.J., Mancuso, V., Greenlee, E., Miller, B., Menke, L., Brown, R., and Vieane, A., “Development and Validation of the Air Force Cyber Intruder Alert Testbed (CIAT)”, 7th International Conference on Applied Human Factors and Ergonomics (AHFE), Orlando, FL, 27-31 July 2016
- Borghetti, B.J., and Rusnock, C.F., “Introduction to Real-Time State Assessment”, 18th International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (HCII), Toronto, Canada, 17-21 July 2016)
- Sullivan, N.M.*, Borghetti, B.J., and Coutu, R.A., “Energy Harvesting & Recapture from Human Subjects: Dual-Stage Thermal MEMS Energy Converter”, IEEE Conference on Reliability Science for Advanced Materials and Devices (RSAMD), Golden, CO, 7?9 Sep, 2014
- *Borghetti, B.J., *Sodomka, E., “Performance Evaluation Methods for the Trading Agent Competition” Student abstract and poster program at Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (AAAI), July, 2006.
- Thomas, R. W, Borghetti, B.J., “IA Implications for Software Defined Radio, Cognitive Radio and Networks”, IA Newsletter, Information Assurance Technical Analysis Center, Vol. 12, No. 1, Spring 2009, pp. 20-24.
- *Borghetti, B.J., “Opponent Modeling in Interesting Adversarial Environments,” Doctoral Dissertation, Aug 2008
- *Borghetti, B.J., “Inference Algorithm Performance and Selection Under Constrained Resources,” Master’s Thesis: December 1996
Invited Talks and Presentations
- Rusnock, C.F., Borghetti, B.J., “Assessing Mental Workload by Combining Model-based and Psychophysiological Measurement Approaches” Institute of Industrial Engineers (IIE) Industrial Systems Engineering Research Conference (ISERC)May 21-24, 2016
- Rusnock, C.F., Borghetti, B.J., and McQuaid, I.W., “Predicting Operator Workload Using a Combined Modeling Approach” AFIT-AFRL Colloquium - Human Machine Systems 2.0, 30 Sep 2014
- Miller, M.E., Peterson, G.L., Rusnock, C.F., and Borghetti, B.J., “AFIT Adaptive Automation Research Portfolio,” Ahead Autonomy Research Showcase 10 December 2013, Dayton, OH.
- Borghetti, B.J. “Anomaly Detection Through Behavior Signatures”, Invited Presentation, 3rd International Symposium on Resilient Control Systems, Idaho Falls, ID, Aug 2010
* Denotes student, ** Denotes Research Assistant
⇑ Return to top ⇑