Richard Sugarman is Head of the Department of Software and Systems Engineering Management in the School of Systems and Logistics at the Air Force Institute of Technology. He leads a team of twenty-eight military, civilian, and contractor faculty members teaching a portfolio of over 50 technical professional continuing education courses, graduating more than 4,000 students annually. He also teaches and presents nationally on risk management and systems engineering, and is an acknowledged subject matter expert in these fields.
Mr. Sugarman started his Air Force civilian career as a Palace Acquire systems engineer at Tinker AFB in Oklahoma, providing technical support (controls, accessories, and hardware) for the General Electric F-110 engine used on the F-16 fighter. He then became the Scientist and Engineering Development Program Manager for Tinker’s Engineering Workforce Development Branch. In this role, he managed three developmental internship programs with over 50 annual participants and coordinated new hiring of 100+ new scientists and engineers annually.
Areas of Interest & Consulting
- 2018 Graduate Certificate, International Security Studies, Harvard Extension School
- 2010 Air Command and Staff College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, AL
- 2004 Squadron Officer School, Air University, Maxwell AFB, AL
- 2002 Master of Science Industrial Engineering, University of Oklahoma, OK
- 1998 Bachelor of Science Chemical Engineering, Ohio University, OH
Academic Awards and Honors
- AFIT School of Systems and Logistics Dr. John W. Demidovich Award, 2018
- Air Force Association Gage H. Crocker Outstanding Faculty Award, 2017
- Best Paper, American Society of Engineering Education, Systems Engineering Division Program Chair, 2014
- AFIT School of Systems and Logistics Team of the Year, Member – Distance/Blended Learning Team, 2014
- AFIT School of Systems and Logistics Instructor of the Year, 2013
- AFIT Civilian Employee of the Year, 2012
- AFIT School of Systems and Logistics Civilian Employee of the Year, 2011, 2012, 2016
- Sugarman, Richard. Requirements and Limitations of Technology Enabled Education for the United States Air Force. Air Force Insight-To-Industry Paper, AFIT Civilian Institution Programs. 2014.
- Sugarman, Richard. Development of a Systems Engineering Course for Multiple Delivery Methods. American Society of Engineering Education. 2014. http://www.asee.org/public/conferences/32/papers/9235/view.