Dr. Ramana Grandhi is a Professor of Aerospace Engineering at Air Force Institute of Technology. Previously he was a Distinguished Professor at Wright State University, Dayton, OH, and also served as the Director of Engineering Ph.D. program for 15 years and Executive Director of International Collaborations and Graduate Programs for 4 years. His research interests are in multidisciplinary analysis and optimization, aircraft structures, risk-based design, and advanced manufacturing processes. He is the author of more than 180 journal papers, 230 conference articles, and one textbook. In his 30-year academic career at Wright State Dr. Grandhi has supervised 25 Ph.D. dissertations, 50 M.S. theses, and 30 post-doctoral fellows. His extensive research has included partnerships with the U.S. Air Force, U.S. Navy, NASA, NSF, DARPA, GE, Boeing, Lockheed, Pratt & Whitney, Caterpillar, Ford, GM, and small businesses.
In recognition of his sustained contributions in teaching and research , Dr. Grandhi has been honored with numerous awards: ASME Fellow, AIAA Fellow, the AIAA MDO Award, the Solberg Award from the American Society of Naval Engineers, the TANA Award for Excellence in Engineering, Mahatma Gandhi Pravasi Samman Award, the Outstanding Engineers and Scientists Award from the Engineering and Science Foundation of Dayton, the University Professor Title, the Brage Golding Distinguished Professor Award, the UP & COMERS Award from Price Waterhouse, the Caterpillar Quality Improvement Award, the DOW Outstanding Faculty Award from ASEE, and the RALPH R. TEETOR Educational Award from SAE.
Honors and Awards
2017 Mahatma Gandhi Pravasi Samman Award
2015 Distinguished Alumni Professional Achievement Award
2014 AIAA Sustained Service Award
1996 - 2014 The Distinguished Professor Title
2012 Outstanding Leadership Award
2009 ASME Lifetime Achievement Award
2007 TANA Award for Excellence in Engineering
2006 AIAA MDO Award
2005 AIAA Fellow
2004 - 2009 and 1998 - 2003 The University Professor Title
2004 ASNE Solberg Award
2004 Outstanding Engineering Educator Award
1998 The Outstanding Technical Contribution Award
1998 The Distinguished Service Award
1996 Caterpillar Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) Award
1994 The Outstanding Engineers and Scientists Award
1992 - 1995 The Brage Golding Distinguished Research Professor Title
1990 The Excellence in Research Award
1990 The UP & COMERS Award
1989 The DOW Outstanding Faculty Award
1987 The RALPH R. TEETOR Educational Award
1987 Outstanding Young Man of America
1986 - 2018 Best Paper Awards at the Annual Symposium on Aerospace Science and Technology
1. Gorguluarslan, R.M., Choi, H-J., Grandhi, R.V., Choi, S.K., “Prediction Assessment and Validation of MultiscaleModels for Additively Manufactured Lattice Structures under Uncertainty,” Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 33, No. 3, 2019, pp. 1365-1379.
2. Li, H., Grandhi, R.V., Kobayashi, M., and Kolonay, R.M., “Hybrid Cellular Division and Level Set Based Global-Local Design Framework for Structural Shape and Topology Optimization,” Journal of Structrural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, (submitted), January 2019.
3. Fischer, C.C., Grandhi, R.V., and Beran, P.S., “Bayesian Enhanced Low-Fidelity Correction Approach to Multi-Fidelity Aerospace Design,” AIAA Journal, Vol. 56, No.8, 2018, pp. 1-12
4. Cherry, M.R., Sathish, S., and Grandhi, R.V., “A numerical method for predicting Rayleigh surface wave velocity in anisotropic crystals,” Journal of Computational Physics, Vol. 351, 2017, pp. 108-120.
5. Cherry, M.R., Dierken, J., Boehnlein, T., Pilchak, A.L., Sathish, S., and Grandhi, R.V., “Impulse Excitation Scanning Acoustic Microscopy of Local Quantification of Rayleigh Surface Wave Velocity Using B-Scan Analysis,” Review of Scientific Instruments, 89, 013706, 2018.
6. Ye, H., Yang, Z, Yang, Q., Xiao, Y., Grandhi, R.V., and Fischer, C.C., “Optimal Design of a Three Tape-spring Hinge Deployable Space Structure Using an Experimentally Validated Physics-based Model,” Journal of Structural and Multidiscipliary Optimization, Vol. 56, No.5, 2017, pp. 973-989.
7. Cherry, M., Sathish, S., Pilchak, A., Moders, R., and Grandhi, R.V., “Modeling of the Change of Impedance of an Eddy Current Probe Due to Small Changes in Host Conductivity.” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 53, No. 5, 2017, pp. 1-10.
8. Gobal, K., Grandhi, R.V., Koehler, C.M., and Beran, P.S., “High-Fidelity Mulidisciplinary Shape Sensitivity Analysis for Coupled Fluid-Solid Interaction Design,” AIAA Journal (submitted), 2017.
9. Deaton, J.D., and Grandhi, R.V., “Stress-based Design of Thermal Structures via Topology Optimization,” Journal of Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, Vol. 53, No. 2, 2016, pp. 253-270.
10. Vasu, A., and Grandhi, R.V., “Impact of Plasticity Generated by Rayleigh Waves on the Residual Stress Behavior of Structural Components Subjected to Laser Peening,” International Journal of Structural Integrity, Vol. 6, No. 1, 2015, pp. 107-123.
11. Knopp, J.S., Ciarallo, F., and Grandhi, R.V., “Developments in Probability of Detection Modeling and Simulation Studies,” Materials Evaluation, Vol. 73, No. 1, 2015, pp. 55-61.
12. Gobal, K., Grandhi, R.V., and Kolonay, R.M., “Continuum Sensitivity Analysis for Structural Shape Design Variables Using Finite Volume Method,” AIAA Journal, Vol. 53, No. 2, 2015, pp. 347-355.
13. Vasu, A., Gobal, K., and Grandhi, R.V., “A Computational Methodology for Determining the Optimum Re-Peening Schedule for an Improved Fatigue Life of Laser Peened Aircraft Components,” International Journal of Fatigue, Vol. 70, 2015, pp. 395-405.
14. Park, I., and Grandhi, R.V., “A Bayesian Statistical Method for Quantifying Model Form Uncertainty and Two Model Averaging Techniques,” Reliability Engineering & System Safety, Vol. 129, Sept. 2014, pp. 46-56.
15. Deaton, J.D., and Grandhi, R.V., “Significance of Geometric Nonlineraity in the Design of Thermally Loaded Structures,” AIAA Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 52, No. 4, 2015, pp. 1226-1234.
16. Knopp, J.S., Ciarallo, F. W., and Grandhi, R. V., “Recent Developments in Probability of Detection Modeling and Simulation Studies,” Materials Evaluation, Vol. 73, No. 1, 2015, pp. 55-61.
17. Fischer, C., and Grandhi, R.V., “A Comparison of Model-Form Uncertainty Quantification Techniques for Thermal-Structural Modeling,” SRESA Journal of Life Cycle Reliability and Safety Engineering (accepted), January 2014.
18. Loughnane, G., Groeber, M., Uchic, M., Shah, M., Srinivasan, R., and Grandhi, R. V., “Modeling the effect of voxel resolution on the accuracy of phantom grain ensemble statistics,” Materials Characterization, Vol. 90, April 2014, pp. 136-150.