Captain King is currently an instructor of Systems Engineering at the Air Force Institute of Technology’s (AFIT) School of Systems and Logistics, Wright Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. He specializes in Model-Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) using the Systems Modeling Language (SysML) and is the Course Director for various applied MBSE using SysML workshops. Additionally, Capt King serves as an advisor to senior leaders on Digital Engineering continuing education and acquisition efforts taught throughout the school.
Captain King began his career enlisted in the Air Force as a Boundary Protection Specialist with the 83d Network Operations Squadron, Langley AFB, VA. In this role, he provided 24/7 cyberspace operations for the Integrated Network Operations and Security Center East that provided network capability across multiple Major Commands. While at Langley AFB, Capt King was accepted into the Airmen Education Commissioning Program. Following undergraduate school, Capt King commissioned through Officer Training School and became a B-52 Operational Flight Test Engineer with Detachment 1, 53d Test Management Group, Barksdale AFB, LA. During this assignment, Capt King was responsible for coordinating test plans and evaluating operational effectiveness and suitability of B-52 conventional munitions, avionics subsystems, and support equipment being procured or improved. Next, Capt King joined the Range and Network Division, Space and Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles Air Force Base, California. Here, Capt King served as the Program Manager for the Western Range Modernization Network where he led a multiple agency cross-functional integrated product team modernizing and sustaining the nation’s Western Launch Range communication network. Capt King was then selected to attend AFIT as a full-time student in the Systems Engineering Department. During his studies, Capt King conducted extensive research into using MBSE to identify safety critical functions in airworthiness certifications. Following his graduate program, Capt King was selected to serve in his current assignment.
2009 Associates Degree Information Systems Management, Community College of the Air Force, AL
2013 Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Utah, UT
2021 Masters of Science Degree in Systems Engineering, Air Force Institute of Technology, OH
1. Sep 2006 - Jul 2010, Boundary Protection Specialists, 83d Network Operations Squadron, Langley AFB, VA
2. Jul 2010 - May 2013, Student, University of Utah, UT
3. May 2013 - Aug 2013, Trainee, Officer Training School, Maxwell AFB, AL
4. Aug 2013 - Aug 2016, B-52 Flight Test Engineer, Det. 1, 53d Test Management Group, Barksdale AFB, LA
5. Aug 2016 - Jan 2018, Program Manager, Western Range Command Destruct Modernization, Range and Network Division, Space and Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles Air Force Base, CA
6. Jan 2018 – Aug 2019, Program Manager, Western Range Modernization Network, Range and Network Division, Space and Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles Air Force Base, CA
7. Aug 2019 – Mar 2021, Student, Systems Engineering Department, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright Patterson Air Force Base, OH
8. Mar 2021 – Present, Instructor of Systems Engineering, School of Systems and Logistics, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright Patterson Air Force Base, OH