Dr. Hengky Chandrahalim is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the U.S. Air Force Institute of Technology, as well as the Faculty Director of the AFIT Nanofabrication & Characterization Facility. He received a B.Sc. degree from the Ohio State University, and M.Eng., M.Sc., and Ph.D. degrees from Cornell University, all in Electrical and Computer Engineering. After graduating from Cornell University in 2009, he joined the Micro and Nanosystems Laboratory at ETH Zurich as a postdoctoral fellow. Prior to joining AFIT, Dr. Chandrahalim had a joint appointment as a Research Fellow and Lecturer at the Biomedical Engineering and Electrical Engineering and Computer Science departments at the University of Michigan.
Dr. Chandrahalim is a senior member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) and Optica, member of the Acoustical Society of America (ASA), American Physical Society (APS), American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), Society of American Military Engineers (SAME), and Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers (SPIE). He is an active reviewer of publications in optics & photonics, RF & microwave systems, acoustics, ultrasonics, frequency control, micro/nanosystems, and sensors & actuators. He has served as the technical program committee member for the Eurosensors 2010-2011, 2014, 2016-2019, IEEE Transducers 2019-2021, IEEE Sensors 2012, 2014-2018, 2020-2021, EIPBN 2021, MNE 2021 conferences, and chair for the Foundation of Nonlinear Optics 2019 (FoNLO’19) conference.
Ph.D., Electrical and Computer Engineering, Cornell University, Ithaca NY
M.Sc., Electrical and Computer Engineering, Cornell University, Ithaca NY
M.Eng., Electrical and Computer Engineering, Cornell University, Ithaca NY
B.Sc., Electrical and Computer Engineering, The Ohio State University, Columbus OH
- 2021 Elected Senior Member, Optica
- 2020–2022 National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine’s Fellowship as a Research Advisor
- 2020–2021 Strategic Ohio Council for Higher Education (SOCHE) Faculty Excellence Award
- 2020–2021 AFIT Graduate School of Engineering and Management Dean’s Distinguished Teaching Professors Award
- 2020 Semifinalist in the Air Force Spark Tank competition (as an advisor)
- 2019 IEEE NEMS Best Student Paper Finalist (as an advisor)
- 2017 Sentinel of Science Award: Top Reviewers in Physics and Astronomy
- 2016–2017 Sentinel of Science Award: Top Reviewers in Engineering
- 2011 Elected Senior Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Michael D. Sherburne, Candice R. Roberts, John S. Brewer Jr., Thomas E. Weber, Tod V. Laurvick, and Hengky Chandrahalim, "Comprehensive optical strain sensing through the use of colloidal quantum dots," ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 12 (39), 2020, pp. 44156-44162.
See a report in IEEE Spectrum: "Quantum dot paint could make airframe inspection quick and easy"
See a report in Nanotechnology Now: "A quantum material-based diagnostic paint to sense problems before structural failure"
See a report in AFIT News: "AFIT student research selected as Spark Tank semi-finalist"
- Cong Chen, Jin Yuan, Lei Wan*, Hengky Chandrahalim*, Zhenshi Chen, Naoya Nishimura, Harunobu Takeda, Hiroaki Yoshioka, Weiping Liu, Yuji Oki, Xudong Fan, and Zhaohui Li*, "Demonstration of on-chip quantum dots microcavity lasers in a molecularly engineered annular groove," Opt. Lett, 44 (3), 2019, pp. 495-498. (* denotes corresponding faculty authors)
- Lei Wan*, Hengky Chandrahalim*, Jian Zhou*, Zhaohui Li, Cong Chen, Sangha Cho, Hui Zhang, Ting Mei, Huiping Tian, Yuji Oki, Naoya Nishimura, Xudong Fan, and Lingjie Jay Guo, "Demonstration of versatile whispering-gallery micro-lasers for remote refractive index sensing," Opt. Express, 26 (5), 2018, pp. 5800-5809. (* denotes equal contributions)
- Cong Chen*, Lei Wan*, Hengky Chandrahalim*, Jian Zhou, Hui Zhang, Sangha Cho, Ting Mei, Hiroaki Yoshioka, Huiping Tian, Naoya Nishimura, Xudong Fan, Lingjie Jay Guo, and Yuji Oki, "Effects of edge inclination angles on whispering-gallery modes in printable wedge microdisk lasers," Opt. Express, 26 (1), 2018, pp. 233-241. (* denotes equal contributions)
- Lei Wan*, Hengky Chandrahalim*, Cong Chen*, Qiushu Chen, Ting Mei, Yuji Oki, Naoya Nishimura, Lingjie Jay Guo, and Xudong Fan, "On-chip, high-sensitivity temperature sensors based on dye-doped solid-state polymer microring lasers," Appl. Phys. Lett., 111 (6), 2017, pp. 061109. (* denotes equal contributions)
- Jeremy Moore, Leopoldo L. Martin, Shai Maayani, Kyu Hyun Kim, Hengky Chandrahalim, Matt Eichenfield, Inocencio R. Martin, and Tal Carmon, "Regular oscillations and random motion of glass microspheres levitated by a single optical beam in air," Opt. Express, 24 (3), 2016, pp. 2850-2857.
- Clémentine M. Boutry, Hengky Chandrahalim, Patrick Streit, Michael Schinhammer, Anja C. Hänzi, and Christofer Hierold, "Characterization of miniaturized RLC resonators made of biodegradable materials for wireless implant applications," Sens. Actuators A, Phys., 189, 2013, pp. 344-355.
- Clémentine M. Boutry, Hengky Chandrahalim, Patrick Streit, Michael Schinhammer, Anja C. Hänzi, and Christofer Hierold, "Towards biodegradable wireless implants," Philos. Trans. R. Soc. A, 370 (1967), 2012, pp. 2418-2432.
- Hengky Chandrahalim, Sunil A. Bhave, Ronald G. Polcawich, Jeff Pulskamp, Dan Judy, Roger Kaul, and Madan Dubey, "Performance comparison of Pb(Zr0.52Ti0.48)O3-only and Pb(Zr0.52Ti0.48)O3-on-silicon resonators," Appl. Phys. Lett., 93 (23), 2008, pp. 233504.
- Ronald G. Polcawich, Jeffrey S. Pulskamp, Sarah Bedair, Gabriel Smith, Roger Kaul, Chris Kroninger, Eric Wetzel, Hengky Chandrahalim, and Sunil A. Bhave, "Integrated PiezoMEMS actuators and sensors," IEEE Sensors Conference, 2010, pp. 2193-2196. (Invited paper)
- Hengky Chandrahalim, Sunil A. Bhave, Ronald G. Polcawich, Jeff Pulskamp, Babak Pourat, Sebastian Boedecker, and Christian Rembe, "Heterodyne laser-Doppler interferometric characterization of contour-mode resonators above 1 GHz," IEEE International Ultrasonics Symposium (IUS), 2009, pp. 1044-1049. (Best Student Paper Award)
See a report by Polytec News
- Hengky Chandrahalim, Sunil A. Bhave, Ronald G. Polcawich, Jeff Pulskamp, Dan Judy, Roger Kaul, and Madan Dubey, "Fully-differential mechanically-coupled PZT-on-silicon filters," IEEE International Ultrasonics Symposium (IUS), 2008, pp. 713-716.
- Hengky Chandrahalim, Sunil A. Bhave, Ronald G. Polcawich, Jeff Pulskamp, Dan Judy, Roger Kaul, and Madan Dubey, "Influence of silicon on quality factor, motional impedance and tuning range of PZT-transduced resonators," Solid State Sensor, Actuator and Microsystems Workshop (Hilton Head 2008), 2008, pp. 360-363.
- Ronald G. Polcawich, Jeff Pulskamp, Dan Judy, Roger Kaul, Madan Dubey, Hengky Chandrahalim, and Sunil A. Bhave, "PZT thin films for RF MEMS applications," International Symposium on the Applications of Ferroelectrics (ISAF) and 2008 Meeting of the Electronics Division of the American Ceramic Society, 2008, pp. 1-2. (Invited)