Assistant Professor of Aerospace Engineering, Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics, AFIT Appointment Date: 2015 (AFIT/ENY); BS Aerospace Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 1991; MS Aeronautical Engineering, Air Force Institute of Technology, 2001; PhD Astronautical Engineering, Naval Postgraduate School, 2006. Dr. Hartsfield is a former faculty member of The Ohio State University, former space sensor payload program manager, and retired USAF Lt Col. His research interests include space and rocket propulsion and optimal design of spacecraft, including integration and testing of spacecraft. Dr. Hartsfield’s research focuses on experimental evaluation and diagnostics for space propulsion, analytic evaluation of spacecraft design, and applications of additive manufacturing for optimal spacecraft structures. He served as an invited space propulsion session co-chair at a 2011 NASA GRC HBCUOMI Outreach Symposium, as a session chair at the 2011 and 2012 Dayton/Cincinnati Aerospace Sciences Symposia, as deputy chair for the technical program and session chair at the 2016 Dayton/Cincinnati Aerospace Sciences Symposium (DCASS), as chair of technical program and session chair at the 2017 DCASS and .as chair of the executive committee for the 2018 DCASS. Dr. Hartsfield is a member of AIAA, ASCE, and Sigma Gamma Tau.
1. Tommila, C.*, C. Hartsfield, J. Redmond*, J. Komives, T. Shelton, 2020, “Performance Impacts of Metal Additive Manufacturing of Very Small Nozzles,” ASCE Journal of Aerospace Engineering, Vol. 34, No 2. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)AS.1943-5525.0001229.
2. Crouch, S*., Hartsfield, C., 2020, “Triggered Lightning Threat Prediction Based on Launch Vehicle Parameters,” Journal of Defense Research and Engineering, Volume 3, Issue 2, pp 39-50. (FOUO) (DTIC Accession number for issue: AD1101059)
3. Wilson, P.*, Hartsfield, C., 2020, “Effects of Discontinuities on Single and Multi-Wire Solid Propellant Grains,” Journal of Defense Research and Engineering, Volume 3, Issue 2, pp 94-108. (FOUO) (DTIC Accession number for issue: AD1101059)
4. Anderson, W.*, Heister, S., Kan, B., Hartsfield, C., 2020, “Experimental Study of a Hypergolically Ignited Liquid Bipropellant Rotating Detonation Rocket Engine,” AIAA Journal of Propulsion and Power, Published online 28 June 2020, DOI: https://doi.org/10.2514/1B37666
5. Hartsfield, C., Shelton, T., Palmer, B.*, O’Hara, R., 2020, “All Metallic Phase Change Thermal Management Systems for Transient Spacecraft Loads,” ASCE Journal of Aerospace Engineering, Volume 33, Issue 4. DOI: (10.1061/(ASCE)AS.1943-5525.0001150)
6. Doane, B., Truster, N., Cobb, G., Shelton, T., Kemnitz, R., Hartsfield, C., 2020, “Parameter development of selective laser melted nickel alloy 718 for thin-walled applications,” Journal of Defense Research and Engineering, Volume 3 Issue 1 (FOUO).
7. Shelton, T., Willburn, Z.*, Hartsfield, C., Cobb, G., Cerri, J.*, Kemnitz, R., 2019, “Effects of Thermal Process Parameters on Mechanical Interlayer Strength for Additively Manufactured Ultem 9085,” Journal of Polymer Testing, No 81. DOI: (j.polymertesting.2019.106255)
8. Shelton, T., Stelzer, D.*, Hartsfield, C., O’Hara, R., 2019. “Understanding Surface Roughness of Additively Manufactured Nickel Superalloy for Space Applications”, Rapid Prototyping, Vol 26, No 3. DOI (10.1108/RPJ-02-2019-0049)
9. Kemnitz, R.*, Cobb, G., Singh, A., Hartsfield, C., 2019, “Characterization of simulated low earth orbit space environment effects on acid-spun carbon nanotube yarns”, Materials & Design, Vol 184. DOI: (j.matdes.2019.108178)
10. Doane, B., Liu, K.*, O’Hara, R., Hartsfield, C., 2018, “Case Study: Cooling Channels for material testing applications using Laser Powder Bed Fusion,” Metal Additive Manufacturing, Spring 2018, page 147-153.
11. Niederhauser, J.*, Hartsfield, C., Black, J., 2015, “Design and Characterization of a Space Based Imaging Experiment Computer Unit,” Journal of Aerospace Engineering, Volume 28, Issue 3. DOI: (ASCE)AS.1943-5525.0000362
12. Heffernen, K.*, Hartsfield, C., Reeder, M., Polanka, M., 2014, “Horizontally Issuing Diffusing Flames Characterized by OH-PLIF and Visualization” International Journal of Spray and Combustion Dynamics, Vol 6, Number 1, pg 35-65.. DOI: (10.1260/1756-82184.108.40.206)
13. Hartsfield, C., Branam, R., Hall, J.*, Simmons, J.*, 2011, “Aerospike Rockets for Increased Space Launch Capability” Air and Space Power Journal, Summer 2011, pp 65-73.
Conference Papers: (* denotes students or interns)
1. Hartsfield, C., T. Shelton, G. Cobb, 2021, Design of a High Reliability Compact CubeSat Propulsion System, 59th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting.
2. Cobb, G., T. Shelton, C. Hartsfield, R. Kemnitz, 2021, Effects of Carbon nanotube Filler on Mechanical and Electrical Properties of Fused Filament Fabricated Polyetherketoneketone, 59th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting.
3. Gallagher, W.*, T. Shelton, R. Kemnitz, C. Hartsfield, 2020, Accelerated Testing of Ultraviolet and Atomic Oxygen Effects on 3-D Printed Polyetherimide Plastic, 58th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting.
4. Winter, M., H. Koch*, R. Green*, C. Hartsfield, 2019, Direct Inertial Confinement Propulsion at Low Power Levels, 36th International Electric Propulsion Conference.
5. Shelton, T., C. Hartsfield, G. Cobb, 2019, Additive Manufacturing: Designing to Withstand Space Launch, 57th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting.
6. Anderson, W.*, S. Heister, C. Hartsfield, 2019, Experimental Study of a Hypergolically Ignited Liquid Bipropellant Rotating Detonation Rocket Engine, 56th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting.
7. Wright, S.*, C. Hartsfield, 2018, Characterization and Analysis of Anomalous Diffusion Modes in a 600W Permanent Magnet Hall Thruster, 56th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting.
8. Sheets, B.*, C. Hartsfield, 2018, Pseudo Linear Hall Effect Thruster Characterization through Potential, Magnetic, and Optical Measurements, 56th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting.
9. McCrea, J.*, J. Cerri*, C. Hartsfield, 2018, Design of a Zero-Gravity, Vacuum-Based 3D Printer Robot for Use of In-Space Satellite Assembly, 56th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting.
10. Warren, M.*, R. Branam, C. Hartsfield, 2017, Examination of Halbach Permanent Magnet Arrays in Miniature Hall-Effect Thrusters, 53rd AIAA/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference.
11. Liu, K.*, D. Stelzer*, D. Liu, C. Hartsfield, A. Williamson*, 2017, Continued Improvements on the Internal Convective Cooling System of a Notational HypersonicVehicle, 58th AIAA/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference (Jefferson Goblet for best student paper award).
12. Tommila, C.*, C. Hartsfield, 2017, Thrust Coefficient Losses in Additively Manufactured Low Thrust Nozzles, 55th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting.
13. Hyatt, N.*, C. Hartsfield, 2017, Hall Effect Thruster Characterization Through Potential, Magnetic, and Optical Measurements, 55th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting.
14. Wheeler, P.*, R. Cobb, C. Hartsfield, B. Prince, 2016, Satellite propulsion spectral signature detection and analysis through Hall effect thruster plume and atmospheric modeling, SPIE Optical Engineering + Applications.
15. Liu, Y. J.*, D. Liu and C. Hartsfield, 2016, Performance Testing of Various Nozzle Designs for Water Electrolysis Thruster, 54th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting.
16. Muilenburg. C.*, D. Liu, C. Hartsfield, 2016, Empirical Determination of Performance Characteristics for a 1 cm Micro Radio Frequency Ion Propulsion System, 54th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting.
17. Cunningham, D.*, D. Liu, C. Hartsfield, C. Mullins, C. Farnell, J. Williams, W. Hargus, 2016, Synchronized Measurement of Plasma Characteristics in a Hall Effect Thruster, 54th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting.
18. Miller, S.*, T. Book, A. Morse, E. Swenson, R. Cobb, J. Black, C. Hartsfield, 2012, Structural Design and Analysis of a Novel Space Based Chromotomographic Spectrometer, 51st AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics and Materials Conference.
19. Feigenblatt, M.*, C. Hartsfield, 2012, Nitric Acid Formation in AF-M315E Decomposition During Ignition Conditions (FOUO), Joint Army Navy NASA Air Force Joint Propulsion Meeting.
20. Hall, J.*, C. Hartsfield, J. Simmons, R. Branam, 2011, Optimized Dual-Expander Aerospike Nozzle Upper Stage Rocket Engine, 2011 AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting.
21. Brophy, C., C. Hartsfield*, 2004, Sooting Characteristics of Toluene/Oxygen Mixtures for Signature Analysis (FOUO), JANNAF 28th Exhaust Plume Technology Subcommittee and 10 SPIRITS User Group Joint Meeting,
22. Hartsfield, C.*, P. King, M. Franke, 2001, Analysis of the Application of a Triggered Isomer Heat Exchanger as a Replacement for the Combustion Chamber in an Off-the-Shelf Turbojet, 37th Heat Transfer and Fluid Mechanics Institute Proceedings.?