I have experience in offensive cybersecurity, R&D, teaching, and project management. I love being on the forefront of cybersecurity innovations.
My research interests include software reverse engineering, space system cybersecurity, IoT/embedded system security, vulnerability analysis, human-machine teaming, and information visualizations.
Creator, team coach, and mentor for AFIT's 1st Capture the Flag team.
Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, Air Force Institute of Technology, 2020
M.S., Computer Engineering, Air Force Institute of Technology, 2011
B.S., Computer Engineering, Pennsylvania State University, 2004
2023 Field Grade Officer of the Year - Air University (#1/98)
2023 Graduate School of Engineering Management Dean's Distinguished Professor Award
2022 Field Grade Officer of the Quarter (#1/98)
2020 AFIT Suma Cum Laude (Top 5% students)
2019 Inducted into Tau Beta Pi, Engineering Honor Society (Top 20% students)
2019 Inducted into Eta Kappa Nu, Electrical Engineering Honor Society (Top 33% students)
Refereed Journal Papers (Full Paper Reviewed)
- Park, A.T., Peck, N., Dill, R., Hodson, D.D., Grimaila, M.R., & Henry, W.C., "Quantifying DDS-Cerberus Network Control Overhead," in Journal of Supercomputing, Springer, 7 Sep 2022, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11227-022-04770-3.
- Park, A.T., Peck, N., Dill, R., Hodson, D.D., Grimaila, M. R., & Henry, W.C., "Distribution of DDS-Cerberus Authenticated Facial Recognition Streams," in Journal of Supercomputing, Springer, 4 Sep 2022, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11227-022-04771-2.
- Koranek, D.F, Graham, S.R., Borghetti, B.J, and Henry, W.C., "Identification of Return-Oriented Programming Attacks Using RISC-V Instruction Trace Data," in IEEE Access, vol. 10, pp. 45347-45364, 2022, https://doi.org/10.1109/ACCESS.2022.3170479.
- Lin, B., Henry, W.C., Keys, A., Dill, R., & Mills, R., “Analyzing Cyber Threats to Radio Frequency SATCOM Links From An Untrusted Source,” in Journal of Defense Research and Engineering (JDR&E), (Accepted- Revision 1 submiited 25 Jan 22).
- Henry, W.C. and Peterson, G.L., “SensorRE: Provenance Support for Software Reverse Engineers,” in Computers & Security. IEEE, Vol. 95, pp. 1-13, 2020, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cose.2020.101865.
- Henry, W.C. and Mullins, B.E., “VANISH: A Variable Advanced Network IRC Stealth Handling System,” in International Journal of Security and Networks, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd., Vol. 9, No. 2, pp 114-123, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1504/IJSN.2014.060741.
- Henry, W.C., Stange, J.M., and Trias, E.D., “Pearl Harbor 2.0: When Cyber-Acts Lead to the Battlefield,” Journal of Information Warfare, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 47-56, 2010, https://www.jstor.org/stable/26486787.
Refereed Conference Papers (Full Paper Reviewed)
- Fleming, C., Thummala, R., Henry, W.C., Falco, G., "Cyber Defense in Space: Toward a Signature-based Satellite Intrusion Detection System," to appear in AIAA ASCEND Conference, Oct 2023.
- Hills, G., Baldasare, J., Henry, W.C., and Connell, W.J., "A Customized Approach to Cybersecurity Education for Space Professionals," Military Communications Conference (MILCOM), IEEE, Dec 2022.
- Falco, G., Henry, W.C., Tsamis, N., Bailey, B., Hills, G., and Wallen, M., “International Technical Standard for Commercial Space System Cybersecurity- A Call to Action,” AIAA ASCEND Conference, 24-26 Oct 2022, https://doi.org/10.2514/6.2022-4302.
- Thebarge, J., Henry, W.C., and Falco, G., “Developing Scenarios Supporting Space-based IDS,” AIAA ASCEND Conference, 24-26 Oct 2022, https://doi.org/10.2514/6.2022-4219.
- Rose, G., Henry, W.C., Hodson, D., and Falco, G., “Building A Moat: Fortifying Satellite Software from Vulnerabilities,” AIAA ASCEND Conference, 24-26 Oct 2022, https://doi.org/10.2514/6.2022-4329.
- Sidhu, J., Dill, R., Henry, W.C., Hodson, D., "Integrating Data Distribution Services (DDS)-Cerberus into Cyclone," The 20th International Conference on Scientific Computing, Jul 2022.
- Wong, A., Henry, W.C., "Investigating Collaboration for Software Reverse Engineering," The 20th International Conference on Information & Knowledge Engineering (IKE), July 2022.
- Harris, K., Henry, W.C., Dill, R., "A Network-based IoT Covert Channel," in the 4th International Conference on Computer Communication and the Internet (ICCCI), IEEE, July 2022, https://doi.org/10.1109/ICCCI55554.2022.9850247.
- Lin, B, Henry, W.C., and Dill, R, "Defending Small Satellites from Malicious Cybersecurity Threats," The 17th International Conference on Cyber Warfare and Security, 17-18 Mar 2022, https://doi.org/10.34190/iccws.17.1.60.
- Richardson, C., Reith, M., and Henry, W.C., “Ensuring the Security of Space Systems from Eavesdropping Attacks,” The 17th International Conference on Cyber Warfare and Security, 17-18 Mar 2022, https://doi.org/10.34190/iccws.17.1.65.
- Thebarge, J., Reith, M., and Henry, W.C., “Increasing Industry Profitability and Cyber Hygiene Utilizing Awareness Progression Methods,” The 17th International Conference on Cyber Warfare and Security, 17-18 Mar 2022, https://doi.org/10.34190/iccws.17.1.47.
- Park, A., Dill, R., Hodson, D., and Henry, W.C., "DDS-Cerberus: Ticketing Performance Experiments and Analysis," The 2021 International Conference on Computational Science & Computational Intelligence (CSCI'21), 15-17 Dec 2021, https://doi.org/10.1109/CSCI54926.2021.00044.
- Park, A., Dill, R., Hodson, D., and Henry, W.C., “DDS-Cerberus: Data Distribution via Ticketing”, The 2021 World Congress in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, & Applied Computing (CSCE’21), Las Vegas, NV, Jul 26-29, 2021.
- Henry, W.C. and Peterson, G.L., "Exploring Provenance Needs in Software Reverse Engineering." 2020 13th International Conference on Systematic Approaches to Digital Forensic Engineering (SADFE). IEEE, 2020, https://doi.org/10.1109/SADFE51007.2020.00008.