Standard Entrance Criteria
Applicants who meet the following standard entrance criteria are considered fully qualified and can immediately enter a master's degree program. Applicants who meet these criteria have the potential to successfully complete a master's degree program in the nominal time of 18 months. Waivers of some criteria can be granted on an individual basis.
- Hold an appropriate bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university in the United States, or the equivalent of this degree in another country.
- Meet or exceed grade point average of 3.00 based on a 4.00 scale.
- Submit satisfactory scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT), as applicable to the program requested. The recommended GRE scores are at least 153 verbal (500 for GRE taken prior to 1 August 2012) and 148 quantitative (600 for GRE taken prior to 1 August 2012) and the recommended GMAT score is at least 550.
Note: Individuals whose academic credentials fall below any of these entry criteria, however, are very highly encouraged to apply for a graduate program:
- Military personnel, international officers, and civilians who apply to AFIT for full-time graduate study under the sponsorship (full pay and allowances) of a military service or Government organization, but fail to meet the criteria above may be admitted by the faculty in the appropriate department. Applicants who are accepted under these circumstances may be entered into a program that is longer than the nominal program length. The longer programs will include courses designed to remedy academic deficiencies and/or provide additional background preparation.
- Other students who do not meet the standard admission criteria or receive a waiver may be able to enroll on a conditional basis. Full admission as a degree seeking student would be granted upon successful completion of the conditions set forth.
In addition to the requirements discussed above, there are several academic documents required before AFIT can evaluate your acceptability for admission to an AFIT graduate program.
- An official transcript from every college or university attended (undergraduate and graduate) is required. Copies are not acceptable for admissions evaluation. If you are an active duty Air Force officer or a prior AFIT graduate school student, AFIT may have some of your transcripts already on file. Please contact us (click on “Contact Information” in column on the left to obtain phone numbers and/or addresses) in advance to determine which transcripts may need to be supplied.
- Test scores are also required. Scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) are acceptable for all AFIT graduate degrees. The Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) is also acceptable for management-related disciplines. During the testing session, applicants can designate that test scores be sent directly to AFIT. Information on the GRE and GMAT is available. Active duty service members are eligible for reimbursement of each examination one time, and should also contact their education office for reimbursement procedures, and for additional information about both tests.