Doctoral Degree Eligibility
Standard Entrance Criteria
Admission to the Ph.D. program is open to qualified individuals who:
- Hold a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university in the United States, or the equivalent of this degree in another country, with grades averaging at least 3.00 on a 4.00 scale.
- Hold a master's degree with grades averaging at least a 3.50 in an area relevant to the doctoral program of interest.
- Submit satisfactory scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT), as applicable to the program requested. The recommended GRE scores are at least 156 verbal (550 for GRE taken prior to 1 August 2012) and 151 quantitative (650 for GRE taken prior to 1 August 2012) and the recommended GMAT score is at least 650.
Note: Applicants who do not meet these criteria can be conditionally admitted and the department can grant individuals waivers to the entrance requirements. Endorsements by the student's MS faculty and/or thesis advisor may be requested by the faculty. Waivers are available on an individual basis.
Admission can also be granted to applicants who are entering directly from an undergraduate program without a master's degree. The requirement to hold a master's degree will be met during the student's Ph.D. program. Endorsements by the student's undergraduate faculty may be required. However, active duty officers seeking a fully sponsored assignment to AFIT for an advanced academic degree will not be admitted into a doctoral program directly from an undergraduate program without a master’s degree.
In addition to the requirements discussed above, there are several academic documents required before AFIT can evaluate your acceptability for admission to an AFIT PhD program.
- An official transcript from every college or university attended (undergraduate and graduate) is required. Copies are not acceptable for admissions evaluation. If you are an active duty Air Force officer, or prior AFIT graduate school student, AFIT may have some of your transcripts already on file. Please contact us (click on “Contact Information” in column on the left to obtain phone numbers and/or addresses) in advance to determine which transcripts may need to be supplied.
- Test scores are also required. Scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is required. During the testing session, applicants can designate that test scores be sent directly to AFIT. Information on the GRE and GMAT is available at http://www.gre.org and http://www.gmat.org. Active duty service members are eligible for reimbursement of each examination one time, and should also contact their education office for reimbursement procedures, and for more information about both tests.