Office of Admissions

Office of Admissions
When to Apply

AFIT applications are processed year-round. However, you should submit your AFIT at least three months prior to the date you wish to enroll. All service members are strongly encouraged to apply anytime versus waiting for the annual "calls for volunteers" for advanced academic degree assignments. By doing this, you will have an edge on the selection process because you will know your academic eligibility for the programs offered prior to the "call for volunteers."

Normally, your AFIT application will be reviewed within 10 business days after receipt of all documents (official transcripts, test scores and application). If you are interested in being considered for more than one AFIT degree program, you must submit a separate application for each specific program. After your application has been reviewed, you will receive a letter stating one of the following:

  • You have been accepted for the program requested. Nominal program length for those who meet the entrance standards is 18 months for masters programs, and 36 months for doctoral programs. However, extended length programs are possible when academic needs require it.
  • You are conditionally accepted for the program requested. Upon completion of recommended actions, your status will be reconsidered following submission of appropriate documentation.
  • You are not accepted for admission into the program requested.

In addition to the application form discussed above, there are several academic documents required before AFIT can evaluate your acceptability for admission to an AFIT graduate program.

  • An official transcript from every college or university attended (undergraduate and graduate) is required. Copies are not acceptable for admissions evaluation. For AF personnel, the Graduate School of Engineering and Management may have your transcripts already on file. After you apply, an admission representative will email you informing you of what transcripts AFIT has on file and what official transcripts will need to be ordered.
  • Score reports for the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) (for management-related disciplines) are required. You can have your scores sent directly to the Graduate School of Engineering and Management Contact using the Graduate School Code 1827. If you are a member of the Armed Services, ask your base/post education office for information regarding the GRE or GMAT. All services reimburse you for the cost of each examination one time.

Department Home
Department Contact Information