The Air Force Institute of Technology (AFIT), the premier Department of Defense (DoD) institution for graduate education in science, technology, engineering, and management, is seeking applications for a tenure track position in experimental Applied Physics at the Assistant Professor level. The Department of Engineering Physics offers masters and doctoral degrees in Applied Physics, Optical Science and Engineering, Materials Science, and Nuclear Engineering. Areas of research typically focus on problems of Air Force interest and include specialization in optical materials, condensed matter physics, plasma physics, or cold-matter physics.
Applicants are sought for the position of Assistant Professor of Physics, although qualified candidates will be considered at higher academic ranks. Interested candidates must have a Ph.D. in Physics or in a closely related field. Possible areas of specialization may include (but are not limited to):
- Optics, including laser devices, hyperspectral imagery, adaptive optics and nonlinear optics
- Photonics and optical materials, including detectors, emitters, fibers and crystals
- Plasma physics including hypersonics, laser ablation, and high-power-microwave applications
- Quantum physics and quantum computing
- Cold-matter physics, including atomic clouds and Bose-Einstein condensates
The successful applicant will teach foundational and upper-level graduate courses in physics, optical engineering and/or materials science, and establish funded research in support of our graduate degrees. It is not necessary for the candidate to have interest or expertise in all the areas listed above.
Interested candidates must have a Ph.D. in applied physics or closely related field, excellent communication skills, and a strong commitment to teaching at the graduate level and establishing a world-class research effort. They must be able to establish sponsored research programs, mentor graduate students, and consult with DoD agencies. Candidates for the rank of Assistant Professor should have a strong potential for both teaching and research. Candidates for higher academic ranks should possess distinguished records in research. Applicants must be United States citizens and currently hold or be able to obtain a secret security clearance. Preference will be given to those applicants with substantive experience and scholarly contributions in experimental applied physics.
We invite you to visit http://www.afit.edu/ENP/
for more details on our Department, our academic programs and our research specialties; for full details of this faculty position, click “Job Openings.” The Air Force Institute of Technology is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply, please email the following items as a single PDF attachment to Ms. Patricia McCarragher, AFIT Human Resources Liaison Office: AFITMSC.WORKFLOW@afit.edu
- A letter of application to include the job announcement number AFMC-10856892-000000-9X-MEH and a statement of U.S. citizenship.
- Your curriculum vitae (no photographs please).
- Transcripts for all degrees listed on curriculum vitae (official copies must follow).
- A statement of your research plans (limited to one page) and a statement of your teaching philosophy at the graduate level (limited to one page).
- A list of three professional references including name, complete mailing address, email address, and phone number for each.
Questions on the position opening or the Department should be directed to the Search Committee Chair, Dr. Steven Fiorino at email: email@example.com